National Veterinary Technician Week!
Let’s Celebrate Veterinary Technicians!
And other support staff if you don’t recognize them at some other time of the year.
Click on words in green for links to more information!
Click here for a PDF with ideas on celebrations and inspirations.
October 13-19, 2019
Visit the NAVTA site for more details on this week.
AVMA also has some ideas on their site, including social media images you can use and a veterinary technician brochure.
Preparation/ask for help:
- Utilize vendor reps Small gifts for goodies bags, sponsoring breakfast/lunch/snacks
- DVM staff involvement Ask DVMs and other leadership staff to generate ideas and participate in the planning
- Recruit special talents Your team all has special talents and can bring many creative ideas to the table
- Set a budget Having a per-person budget will help in planning
- Get clients involved Send a message to your top clients to let them know it is national vet tech week so they can get involved
Here are some great ideas to support team members
Treat them to an unique CATALYST VetPC Workshop on “#Celebrate More!”
The following ideas are compiled on this printable PDF: NVTW_Celebrations_Inspiration
Simple ideas with high value (low cost)
- Social Media posts Post individual shout outs to your techs on social media during vet tech week
- Word clouds* Make word clouds filled with words that describe each tech. Print and frame.
- Handwritten thank you card Be specific- highlighting what they bring to the team and a genuine thank you
- Appreciation boards Post a board where team or clients can leave appreciation notes to each other
The personalized (cost varies)
- Pens* Pens with their name
- Can holders/insulators If you have a bunch that likes to enjoy adult beverages, these are fun
- Jewelry* Jewelry with their pet’s names, vet tech sayings or pet symbols
- Logo wear Jackets, sweatshirts, etc that have their name and hospital logo on them
- Personalized gear Personalize anything they use regularly – lunch totes, water bottles, etc.
- Key chains Animal themed or personalized
- Window decals Vet Tech pride sayings like “I’m a Vet Tech, what is your super power?”
- Personalized mugs/cups Order personalized mugs and fill with treats
Small goodies (low cost)
- Office supplies Fun animal themed note pads, pens, highlighters, etc.
- Lotto scratch off cards “We hit the lotto when you joined the HOSPITAL NAME family”; pair with candy coins
- Hand sanitizer “Your helping hands make HOSPITAL NAME what it is”
- Candles “You’re a SCENTsational team member”
- Tiny Hands by Archie McGee Funny gift – tiny hands so everyone always has an extra ‘helping hand’
- Food warmers* Food warmers to help keep food warm when we don’t get the chance to stop to eat
- Pet items Pets are part of our family and getting goodies for them warms the hearts of our teams
- Gift cards Gift cards to their favorite restaurant, spa or store
Experience gifts (higher cost)
- Additional paid day off Gift them an additional day off to team to use over the next calendar year
- Close and connect Close the clinic for a few hours for an off-site lunch or team building activity
- Piñata A good old piñata filled with candy brings out the giddy child in all of us!
- Coffee cart Find a traveling coffee cart company that can come in and make drinks for your team
- Chair massages Find a traveling massage therapist that can come in and give chair massages
- Scissors A nice, sharp pair of bandage scissors. Available from major vendors
- Nurse pro packs Think technician tool belt. Give them all the things to fill it over the week
- Stethoscope watch Watch face that attaches to a stethoscopes
Combo gifts (cost varies)
- Goodie bags Filled will small gifts of appreciation like hand lotion, hand sanitizer, pens, notebooks/post-its, gum/mints, Starbucks gift cards, favorite treat or candy, handwritten Thank You card.
- Kits Themed kits – self-care, movie night, dinner on us, etc.
Food (cost varies)
- Themed food days Find out team members favorite meals or snacks and do a themed day…example: Today is Amy’s favorite snack day: chips and queso.
- Meal ideas (assemble) Taco Tuesday, Nacho bar, Waffle bar, baked potato bar, ice cream sundae bar
- Meal ideas (day of) Pizza, grill out, catered delivery from your local restaurants
- Local restaurants Reach out to local restaurants and see if they want to donate coupons, food or other goodies for your vet tech week. Promote their business on social media for supporting your team.
- Homemade breakfast Pancakes/Waffles. Made extra special when managers and doctors make the breakfast!
These ideas are compiled on this printable PDF: NVTW_Celebrations_Inspiration
- www.wordclouds.com (FREE online word cloud creator)
- https://awesomethis.com (personalized products)
- www.Etsy.com (personalized and vet tech inspired products galore)
- https://burritote.com (food warmer to fit a burrito)
- www.nursepropack.com (tool belt for technicians)
DISCLAIMOR: CATALYSTVetPC does not endorse any of the products listed. This list is designed to help inspire you to celebrate your veterinary technicians to the fullest during national veterinary technician week.