Veterinary Team Careers in Practice
February 18, 2021
You may be surprised to learn how many career options veterinary teams have within veterinary practice. The SKY is the LIMIT! Identify where your passion and strengths lie to create a purposeful career.
CATALYST VetPC focuses on career growth within veterinary practice. You may be aware of the formal training and support staff options; veterinarian, credentialed veterinary technician, veterinary assistant, receptionist, and managers. BUT are you aware of ALL the options within those categories, opportunities for team members to take on projects and duties they are passionate about?
Your team will benefit by learning various aspects of career development while attending a customized Workshop in veterinary team careers. Reach out to [email protected] to design a Workshop, or series of Workshops, specific to your team.
Following are simple outlines with a few career advancement resources linked.
- Currently, there are 22 AVMA-recognized veterinary specialty organizations comprising 41 distinct specialties
- Oversight of advanced training within practice
- Coordinate case reviews with the team
- Manage Blog postings
- Represent the veterinary hospital in community events
- Design a hospice, end-of-life care program
- Career Choices for Veterinarians
Credentialed Veterinary Technician
- Currently, there are 16 NAVTA-recognized veterinary technician specialty (VTS) academies
- Coordinate productive team meetings
- Manage inventory
- Design educational materials for clients
- Outreach to local schools, 4-H or FFA in basic pet care and animal husbandry
- Organize phase training programs for team members-Team Trainer
- Career Choices for Veterinary Technicians
- Complete Approved Veterinary Assistant certification
- Coordinate socialization classes for puppies
- Offer clients personalized tours through the practice
- Oversight of puppy, kitten, adolescent, and senior pet kits (all stages of life)
- Oversee sanitation training for team members
- Coordinate social events with new clients
- Organize client appreciation and recognition programs
- Oversee social sites
- Maintain reminder systems
- Create informative bulletin boards
- Complete Certification in Veterinary Practice Management
- Coordinate State Board observation day
- Organize annual career goal setting
- Participate in local career fair
- Attend business networking events or mastermind groups
- Careers within Practice Management
To learn more, contact a CATALYST Coach to work with your team in career growth and advancement. Career coaching sessions for everyone on your team!
Rebecca Rose, CVT
Certified Career Coach
CATALYST Founder & President
Join Veterinary Teams Living Well, an inspirational, closed Facebook Page.
Sign up for CATALYST Chronicles, a bi-monthly eNewsletter focusing on veterinary team development; creating a sustainable life and career in veterinary medicine.
Attend an Upcoming CATALYST VetPC event.